Monday, May 20, 2013

The Importance of Plan B, Plan C and Plan D

Post half marathon, I decided to dial back the running a bit and add a new weight training program  called Les Mills PUMP into my routine.  I started last week and love it!  PUMP only requires you do 3 weight workouts/week and then you can do cardio of your choice.  Since I have a 5k in a couple of weeks and a 10k on June 23, I decided that I would run on the cardio days.   

Last week I mapped out my workouts, which look like this:

WEEK 2MAY 20 - MAY 26
MondayPUMP & BURN
Tuesday3 - 5 mile run PUMP Challenge, Hard Core Abs
Wednesday6 - 7 miles, tempo with  2 x 10 minutes in the middle at 10K pace, 4 minutes rest in between
ThursdayPUMP & BURN 
Friday3 - 5 mile run
SaturdayRest or 2 - 4 mile run
Sunday6 - 8 miles, with 2 miles in the middle at 20 seconds/mile slower than 10K pace
 
Yesterday on a trip to the playground with my kids, I rolled my ankle and fell to the ground.  There is no swelling but there is a little bit of pain. Accordingly, my fantastic workout schedule is being amended. The running is going to be put off for a couple of days at least and I am going to modify the PUMP so that I do only the upper body moves.  

I like to plan my workouts, but if something isn't right that doesn't mean I abandon course entirely.  I think in life and in exercise, you have to be able to adapt when you face adversity.  Professional athletes don't abandon their entire training when they are injured, they modify it.  I am by no means a professional athlete, but I like to employ that way of thinking.  

When faced with a minor injury, do you modify your workouts or you do you catch-up on reality TV until you're healed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment