Saturday, May 4, 2013

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes

This week was busy, lots of driving, play dates and running errands.  Yesterday, I picked up the kids after school and took them to the race expo to pick up my chip and bib.  The expo is held at the OC Fairgrounds.  It was around 90 degrees and the wait time was approximately 20 minutes until you entered the building, lucky for my kids they were selling shaved ice. I know the syrup in the shaved iced is filled with dyes, but sometimes you have to weigh other health concerns like dehydration. 

My little runners were thoroughly disappointed that it wasn't an actual race for them and that they would not be racing this weekend.  I already have two little races scheduled for them in the coming weeks so it will be all about them soon enough.  My daughter also instructed me to win the race so I can give her my medal on Sunday. I think they have caught the racing bug. 

When I got home I picked out my race clothes and pinned on my number.  I find myself increasingly nervous as the clock ticks down to race day, so I do as much as possible in the days before.  

I selected a gray Athleta sleeveless tank,  I get really hot when I run so the less fabric the better. I like the cut of the tank and it  does a great job of wicking sweat and keeping you dry. I bought this one in the winter, but they have a similar one here:


My kids then picked out my running skirt,  this is from Lululemon and I LOVE it.  It looks cute and functions surprisingly well.  It has shorts underneath with little grippy things that keep them from riding up. It also has two pockets for gels and a zippered pocket in the back.  It can also function as a tennis skirt and has a ball pocket.  Here is a link to the skirt:


The sports bra is Moving Comfort.  They have tons of great styles and colors.  Ladies, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a quality sports bra. It is probably equally as important as buying good quality sneakers.  Sierra Trading Post often has closeouts and you can score some amazing deals.  Here is a link:


The socks are ProCompression.  Initially I ran in low trainers, but after reading about some of the supposed gains made by recreational runners wearing compressions socks on their runs I decided to give it a try.  It may be placebo effect, but I feel like my legs have more energy when I wear them and the support is unbelievable. I actually sometimes rock them around the house since I rarely sit down. ProCompression is a local company and when I purchased the blue color they gave a donation to Autism Speaks. Here is the link:


The sneakers are Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s.  When I embarked on 1/2 marathon training last October, I went to RoadRunner Sports and had them do a gait analysis.  I learned that I overpronate, have a high arch and a narrow foot.  After trying on several brands and styles, these were the best fit.  The best advice I was given as a new runner was to go to a running store and have my shoes fitted. They really have the experience to put you in the best shoe and often have really good return policies if you find the shoe doesn't work for you.  Here is a link to the Mizunos:


Lastly, I was in desperate need of a visor because it has gotten very sunny and bright in the OC over the past month.  I found this one by Brooks and I like the message and the color.  Here is a link:


Truthfully, I am not the fastest runner on the course and likely never will be.  I do, however, think we can all take something away from the speedsters in terms of fashion and function.  Sometimes just looking the part gives you confidence to push beyond your comfort zone and set a new PR.  

Where do you shop for your exercise clothes? Are you brand loyal, head to toe, or do you mix it up?

No comments:

Post a Comment