Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thinking Outside the Pancake Box

I do a lot of cooking, three meals a day plus snacks, for my ever hungry family.  I enjoy cooking but preparing that many meals can get a little boring.  So I usually try to do a little Chopped challenge a couple times a week and see what I can come up with.  Sometimes it is amazing and other times it is a total disaster.

Lately, I have been experimenting with pancakes.  My taste in pancakes has evolved significantly, I started out a Bisquick gal and then started making fancier versions with beaten egg whites and ricotta.  My new focus has been trying to make power pancakes, packed with protein and some type of fruit.

Here are two of my favorites to leave the kitchen:

Banana Shakeology Pancakes

1 Very Ripe Banana
1 Scoop Chocolate Shakeology
1 Egg Beaten
2 tsp. Water

Mix the first three ingredients in a bowl, add a little bit of water to the mixture so that it makes a batter.  Spray non-stick pan with Pam and cook over medium heat.  You cook them the same way as regular pancakes, wait till one side sets and then you flip them.  I eat mine with a dollop of greek yogurt, 1 tsp. maple syrup and some chopped walnuts.  These are filled with protein and powered me through to lunch without any snacking.

Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes

1/2 C. Cooked Quinoa
1/2 C. Blueberries
2 T. Almond Flour
1 T. Ground Flax Seed
1 Egg Beaten
1 t. Vanilla Extract
1 t. Water

Combine above ingredients in bowl, mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Spray non-stick skillet with Pam and cook pancakes on medium heat.  Again, cook them the same way you cook pancakes.  Top with Maple syrup.


Both of these recipes are Gluten Free.

If you have a nut allergy, you can omit the almond flour and use regular flour instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment