Thursday, April 11, 2013

Just Beet It



I'm having a minor obsession with beets this week, I bought two bunches from the farmers market and I roasted them.  I made an Asparagus-Beet Salad earlier this week and sauteed beet greens to go with some rice.  I just read an article in Competitor where they talk about the benefits of beets and I am eager to see if it translates into practice.  Essentially, beets are rich in dietary nitrates and can lower blood pressure, reduce inflamation and increase stamina.  Since my Half Marathon is looming, it seems like it wouldn't be the worst thing to eat a lot of beets in the next few weeks. 

Berry Beet Smoothie 


This recipe was inspired by something I originally saw on Pinterest

Berry Beet Smoothie Recipe

1 Cup Strawberries, cut
1 Cup Beets, cut
1 Cup Cold Water
1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
1 T. Honey** (local if you can find it, helps with seasonal allergies)
Ice

Blend All Ingredients Together, Makes 2 Servings
**It isn't super sweet with 1 T. of Honey, so if you like your smoothies sweet add more to your taste.  




Local Honey

Strawberries and Beets

No comments:

Post a Comment