Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lunch Time


I have been packing lunches for  my children for about three years and here are some things I have learned.  Include your child in the process, let them tell you what their preferences are.  If the preferences are Cheetos and Oreos, tell them why that is not an appropriate choice for a daily lunch.  In terms of explaining nutrition to my young children, I explain it in very simply.  Specifically, I say we eat fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and beans because they make us strong, smart and healthy.  Can't really say that about Oreos can you?

I buy the Klip It to Go Lunch Cube from either the Container Store or Old Navy and then I can see the entire lunch in one place and decide what needs to be added. I am very visual, so looking at everything in one place has really made it easier to figure out what to put in the lunch.  In addition, it is appealing to the eye.  If it doesn't look good, your child is not going to want to eat it no matter how great it tastes.  Children like bright colors, that is why processed food is loaded with dyes.  Skip the processed food and fill their lunch with brightly colored fruits and vegetables.


The Klip It to Go Lunch Cube, BPA Free
Klip It Cube filled with blueberries, raspberries, grape tomatoes and yellow bell pepper 
Pita Bread Sandwich and Organic Yogurt Squeeze Tube from Trader Joe's



 This is the sandwich in the lunch cube.  It is made from pita bread, cucumbers, carrots and labne (yogurt  or kefir cheese).  This is my daughter's favorite sandwich and she calls it her yogurt sandwich.



This is Labne, also called Kefir Cheese, this particular brand has Live Probiotics and is free of rBST.  You can find it at Whole Foods,  Trader Joe's and Middle Eastern Markets.

I also made myself a Labne Sandwich, but topped mine with cucumbers, tomatoes and Greek olives.
















What did you have for lunch today?

No comments:

Post a Comment